Sunday, March 5, 2017

Exchange life 1



So here I am on exchange. About the experience for the first few weeks. I arrived on the 18 of feb which is also my birthday. Some of my friends came to the airport to send me off and I was very thankful for them. During the week before the flight I was starting to get scared of leaving Singapore for such a long time and was already missing my family. At the airport the other 3 chem eng  people and I checked in. We each had 23+23kg and still brent and kah hwee could overweight the total weight even though mine and wei en’s weren’t full yet. So it was our first problem on the trip. The people at the counter were already very kind to let us go with exceeding 10kg. if not we would have to pay like 100+ USD. Because brent had a lot of gifts to bring for his Korean friends like kueh lapis, milo powder, coffee and kaya. He could literally open a shop. Then kah hwee went to bring liquid milo instead of powder one which the rest of us went wth to. Yeah the flight on asiana was better for me as there was no smell on the plane. Usually when I take a plane, I would feel like vomiting due to the smell. The food wasn’t that great but it was no diff for me since I couldn’t really eat otherwise I would feel like vomiting because of the smell once again. When we reached the airport the immigration queue was just as long as ever. And the people from I think Vietnam or Thailand took longer than usual, maybe their visa took more processing.

Anyway we are staying at Rachel livingtel with many other singaporeans. All of us are studying at KU. The manger here is very strict and he really does look at his cctv very closely. Some of the singaporeans already kena his “what’s matter” message already hahahaa. My goal for the trip is to not get this message. I got a 550,000won room. The size is fine but the problem is the window. Koreans have a weird definition of window. Yes there is a physical window looking thing but I can’t see anything out of it. It’s like opaque? You can see light but you can’t see what’s outside. That’s the only complain. Other than the fact that I’m on the 5th floor which is a girls only floor and no one can come visit me. I wanted to move up to the 6th floor where most of the singaporeans are living. But it’s okay, I don’t mind the peace at the end of the day.

KUBA buddy. My buddy is kwon yongmi. My first impression of her is “young” hahaha cause she is 2 years younger than me but she totally looks like my age. Oh and apparently most of the people on exchange from other countries are young too. Most of them are 1996, 1997 and some even 1998 like wow. Then my 2nd impression of her is “quiet”. We didn’t really talk much and cause I felt a bit awkward with her as I’m not a really talkative person and if the person is not talkative, I won’t really talk. So I basically went with the other singaporeans in my group which surprisingly consists of all us chem eng people plus ee zeng and sheena. So the first time after orientation on the 23/2 the group activity was to have chimaek for dinner then we all went to a soju bar. A lot of drinking was involved. All the americans and Europeans drank so well and us singaporeans had Asian flush. Sighs. So that night kah hwee and sheena died cause they were sitting at the table with strong drinkers. The rest of us sat at another table. It was rather peaceful at first until the soju queen came over and people started dying. Wei en died, ee zeng seemed okay, brent was fine and due to my face being red very fast everyone thought I was drunk so all stopped giving me drinks hahahaha. I guess the flush proved to my aid. 4/3 was the cheering orientation and this was where my impression of my buddy did a 180. When the cheering started she started doing the cheers very passionately and was like high. I even had to ask her whether she drank before coming to the cheering orientation hahahaa I think I have to drink like a few shots of soju to reach her highness level. Halfway there was some cheer then she dragged the whole row of us to the front and there was some head banging moves in the cheer which she totally went all out at hahahaa. After the cheering she had to collect money for dinner then I was like “micheoso” to her and she was like denying it hahahaa. Then for dinner we went to the same soju bar. This time only brent, sheena and I went but sheena sat at another table. We sat with my buddy, kah hwee, a german called alex and the last member at our table kept changing. It was initially wei en’s buddy then it changed to a Korean buddy called gaeun. That person was totally high and they all had no mercy man…. Then my buddy kept losing some games and she was drinking a lot. Like legit, and she wasn’t even red at all, I’m not kidding. Anyway we were playing a game that I totally suck at cause it takes so much focus which I totally lack, then my buddy sabo-ed me while I was eating. Then I was like “buddy why you do this to me” then brent suggested she drink for me the shot instead but she looked like she drank a lot already so I offered to ownself drink it cause I really didn’t drink much but everyone thought I did. Asian flush. Sighs. Yeah I still haven’t improve and meet up with minji and her friend yujin to prove that I am not alcohol trash (alsul). My buddy was totally into the drinking. Then at 10+ she had to leave with her friend. Too bad for her, to leave she had to do some crazy shouting stuff. I couldn’t understand a thing so it was just me laughing at her while videoing the whole thing down. Hahahahaa I sent the video to her after that. So conclusion, my buddy is not quiet, but she is still young. Hahahaa. I was insta-storying and telling everyone she was my buddy and like siao liao. Amazingly she wasn’t drunk and she said she’s never been like dead drunk before 0.0 heol daebak. Brent stayed on to drink with the Koreans until 2am! Wow. I just gave up. Save my liver for another day. But there was significantly less people this time imo. Talking about orientation, the school orientation were boring as….it was basically admin stuff and making the hana bank account en mass in the lecture theatre was ridiculous. I feel like I was selling my soul, it was the first time I had to sign my signature so many times. I think none of my signatures look alike to each other hahahaha.

School also started. The first lesson for all the modules were just ridiculous. All were even more lepak than Singapore one. Most of them were like 15-30min then can leave already. Only our first lesson took 1h. oh and I wanted to take Korean language and wei en wants to crash the class too so we went to attend the first lesson then we went to ask the admin why I can’t sign up on the system. So basically they save a certain percentage of slots of each course for their full time students. So out of the 30 slots for Korean lang class only 12 can be taken be exchange students which are all full. I get it that they want to protect their own students by blocking out the slots but this is Korean lang, I don’t think any or at least that many full time students need to take Korean language 1 as a module. So now we have to wait until closer to the add/drop end date to add it or ask the prof to add us in. So I’m waiting for Monday to ask the prof to add me in.

We also went Vivaldi park to go skiing. We went with Kimberly, the 5 of us. The skiing was fun but shag. As I had some lesson during the winter school I was able to ski more comfortably and we all went to the beginner slope. It was more steep than the winter school beginner slope I think. It was fun. The first few times I went slow then I also had to wait for Kimberly who couldn’t ski well. So wei en and I had to help her. Then later on the 3 guys went to the intermediate slope and I solo go beginner slope 2 times while Kimberly rest. I went faster and it was shiok. After that I went with the guys to the intermediate one once. It was scary af. Not that it was very steep, rather cause the A formation doesn’t work anymore. You have to do the S shape thing. I fell once, then a Korean person came to help me cause he thought he was the cause of my fall. Technically he was, cause I was trying to avoid him. The 3 guys kept falling, I don’t know how they can dare to go so fast and get up so fast like nothing happened.

Then we had a mass trip, like really a lot of singaporeans, to busan and gyeongju, then the last day only got us chem eng people as the biz people have another orientation. The sunsets at busan were so beautiful. Most of the places felt just meh. Plus all the unesco sites I feel that it would be better with a guide but we couldn’t since it was free and easy kind. Anyway we got a car for gyeongju. Brent, wei en, jasmine, ee zeng and I went together. What a small world, jasmine is from tj too and she knows jia en because she is in 15/12 which is the same class as seeyuen. Small world.

Now is taeyeon's promoting period for her new album. I helped regina and shaohan's friend buy albums and tried getting into fansigns. I failed....even though I had 4 chances. oh well....


by the breadmonster:D ~i'd catch a grenade for'ya~ f(x)에프엑스. SNSD소녀시대. OT9. Powerof9. Ice Princess Jessica 얼음공주 제시카 – eoleum gongju Jessica. Sica yeolshin nim. P!nk. Ellen degeneres. CCHMSTT. 4HM. TJC. 26/12.

No comments:

Post a Comment